Words of Faith 3-1-17
Dr. Jeffrey D. Hoy © 2017
Faith Fellowship Church - Melbourne, FL
<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><
 "I have revealed you to those whom you gave me out of the world. They were yours; you gave them to me and they have obeyed your word.  Now they know that everything you have given me comes from you.  For I gave them the words you gave me and they accepted them. They knew with certainty that I came from you, and they believed that you sent me.  I pray for them. I am not praying for the world, but for those you have given me, for they are yours.  All I have is yours, and all you have is mine. And glory has come to me through them.  I will remain in the world no longer, but they are still in the world, and I am coming to you.
Jesus prayed specifically for the disciples. With gratitude He lifted these followers to the Father in prayer and described them to God. What is a disciple of Jesus? What is the “Profile Picture of a Disciple? Jesus describes His disciples in seven ways.
1. Out of the world though still in the world (6,11). The disciples were given to Jesus out of the world yet they remained in the world. A disciple is not of the world even though they remain in the world. A disciple is called to be different from the culture yet still a witness to the culture. A disciple is light in the darkness.
2. Belongs to God (6b). A disciple belongs to God. There is an act of surrender, as these who were part of the world system became a part of the Kingdom of God. The word ‘Lord’ is used to describe this relationship but Jesus also described the disciples as “friend”.
3. Obedient (6c). This Kingdom relationship is characterized by obedience. The disciples were not perfect but they left fishing nets, agricultural enterprise and a tax stand to follow Jesus. The Word rather than the world shaped and motivated their lives. What they heard from Jesus, they applied in their lives by obedience.
4. Knows that everything comes from God (7). A disciple knows that God is in charge. He is our supply and our strength. Every good gift comes from heaven above. There is no need that God cannot meet. There is no concern that is beyond His reach. God is God.
5. Receives the truth (8). A fundamental mark of a disciple is that he receives the truth. The truth of the Gospel has impacted the life of a true disciple. It is more than head knowledge. There is a transformation of one God has delivered out of the world. This transformation is by the truth and the truth is the Word.
6. Knows with certainty that Jesus is Lord (8b). A disciple knows with certainty that Jesus came from God and was sent to humanity from God. There is no qualification. There is no equivocation. In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made (John 1:1-3).
7. Are prayed for by Jesus (9). A disciple has an advocate with the Father named Jesus. Jesus prayed for His disciples and continues to do so.
Are you a disciple of Jesus? Is God calling you from the world to the Kingdom? Are you sensing that you belong not to the world but to God? Are you ready to obey the Word? Are you trusting God for all things needed? Are you receiving the truth? Are you growing to know with certainty that Jesus is Lord? Are you ready to have an advocate with the Father?
Lord, I desire to be Your disciple. I surrender all. Shape me by Your Word and the truth of Your Spirit. You are Lord of all. Advocate for me. I am Yours. In Jesus’ name.
<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><
© Jeffrey D. Hoy 2002, 2017
Dr. Jeffrey D. Hoy - Faith Fellowship Church (EFCA)
2820 Business Center Blvd.
Melbourne, Florida 32940 (321)-259-7200
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
SUBSCRIPTIONS - To receive the Words of Faith devotion five days a week, send an E-mail message addressed to email@example.com. To stop receiving Words of Faith, send an E-mail message addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The Words of Faith devotion is published five days a week by E-mail excluding Federal holidays. Please feel free to forward this devotion to a friend who might be blessed by this devotion. Unless otherwise noted, all Scripture is quoted from the New International Version (R) of The Holy Bible. Copyright (c) 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society. Used by permission of Zondervan Publishing House. All rights reserved. Words of Faith (c) 1997, 2010 Jeffrey D. Hoy. All rights reserved. Permission is granted to forward this copyrighted material or use portions of it with appropriate notation of the source for non-profit purposes.